We had an excellent time in Vienna, the sun was out and there was lots to do! If I could sum up our time here it would be, enjoying the culture. Around every corner there seemed to be another art gallery, opera house, museum or church, and although most of the architecture was classicist, there was a strong and positive fusion with the modern buildings. The city was vibrant, organised and very clean! We enjoyed the lively mix of cool cafes/bars and the more traditional coffee houses, and enjoyed sampling their specialities, like sacher torte and wiener schnitzel!
– Swan Lake performed by the Vienna State Ballet at the Wiener Staatsoper (Opera House), we booked in December and had pretty good seats! It was Dan’s first ballet.
– Vienna Symphonic Orchestra – we booked last minute seats at the Musikverein, in the beautiful Großer Saal (Great Hall), the music was incredible (as was the inside of the hall!)
– The Spanish Riding School – we booked standing tickets for this show and we had a GREAT view, the discipline the horses required for the classical equestrian and stunts was amazing. No photos allowed!
– Mumok – this modern art museum was wasted on us. We just don’t understand modern art!
– Ice skating out the front of the Rathaus (Town Hall) might have been magical if I was any good, lucky Dan wasn’t terrible!
– Wandering around, we are getting pretty good at this! On our second day we sat in the full sun, in the park outside the Palace and listened to a busker bust out some awesome tunes on his saxophone. It was heavenly.